Friday, March 4, 2016

The Great Ocean Road; Victoria


I'm sure most Australians have heard of the Great Ocean Road but if you haven't, it's basically a long road that follows the coast of Victoria (for the most part). Recently, I went on a family adventure along this road and was amazed at the whole experience - both in a positive and negative way.

Let's start with the positives.
The atmosphere around the whole road was an amazing experience and something that I will remember forever. Most of the towns that you will stop off at are quiet and small, creating a much different feel than the city life I am used to.


The view was beautiful. There is no doubt about that. Australia is known for it's beaches and these definitely did not disappoint. It is a once in a lifetime experience to see these views and I 100% recommend. I will, however, point out that if you have driven down Highway 1 in California then this won't be all that different.








There's many rainforests and waterfalls around the Great Ocean Road so it is definitely worth stopping off at a few. This particular waterfall, Triplet Falls, was a little overgrown, we couldn't even see the waterfall!

This is Lake Elizabeth. If you enjoy long bush hikes and snake ridden rainforests then you will love this lake. Unfortunately, it was not my cup of tea. At least I got a photo out of it!

Now for the negatives...
I was lucky enough to miss the bush fires but did experience some of the backlash. The fires were still burning, making it impossible for us to visit a few particular areas and waterfalls. Of course, if you are lucky enough to have a bush fire free holiday this won't be a problem for you. The only other problem that the fires caused was the destruction to nature, many of the once green and vibrant plants were now black and dead which is never a nice thing to see. Unfortunately, I can't find a photo to show you :(

Now I am here to give you an honest review and fair warning which is something that I would have liked before going on this holiday. If you get motion sick, be prepared for lots of winding roads. This caught me off guard and caused many, many car sick moments. I even resorted to deciding on moving to a small town called Princetown in the middle of nowhere just so I didn't have to experience the drive again. The worst area is before the 12 apostles so be aware and drive safely.
However, as you can see from the pictures, it's worth it.



I hope you enjoy my travel blog posts and videos! I will definitely keep sharing my travel experiences with you in the future :) 

- Nicole Marie Ranz

No comments:

Post a Comment